_ *****************************************************************************

Saturday, January 2, 2010

January 2, 2010

I got to sleep in this morning, which I thought was going to be the best part of a day full of correcting papers and lesson planning before returning to school on Monday, so I was pleasantly surprised that the best part of my day actually came after I got out of bed. I suppose that these days are the type that days that we life for.

I sipped my coffee, bittersweet, and feeling the warmth of the cup in my hand, I noticed bright sunlight streaming through the glass doors to the balcony. I braced myself for the cold; the last few days of sunlight had been accompanied by a biting chill and I wasn't about to be tricked by the facade of sunlight yet again. I gasped as I pulled the door open, feeling not the breathtaking cold, but beautiful warm sunlight. It was almost as if I was not feeling the heat from the sun, but rather as though I was feeling the light itself. It warmed by cheeks, quickly and intensely, almost as if I was blushing with embarrassment and confusion at the sun, who, after spending so long hiding behind the veneer of clouds and coldness, had decided to show its face with such brazen audacity.

I basked in the warmth and light for a few minutes, and then being called back to reality by the nagging knowledge of work to be done, I went inside, pulling the balcony door shut behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment